What is the Better World Project Award?
AUTM's Award competition recognizes technology transfer professionals worldwide who support a better world through the commercialization of academic research.
How do I apply?
Submissions for the 2021 Better World Project Award are now closed. It's never too early to apply for the 2022 Award. Submit your story today. It's your chance to promote your good work, and the positive impact your research makes in the world.
Submit Your Story
Who is eligible to submit a story?
Anyone can submit an innovation success story to the Better World Project database as long as four criteria are met:
- The featured technology is licensed.
- A product is for sale or a prototype is in use.
- The technology highlights a successful partnership between academia and industry.
- The technology has experienced a major milestone since 2014 (a start-up was formed, a product was released, venture funding round was closed, a regulatory milestone was achieved, etc.).
Technologies will be judged by a panel made-up of seven Better World Project (BWP) Committee members. If an entry is received from a BWP Committee member's institution -- no problem! - that Committee member is recused from judging the specific entry or choosing the winner from finalists.
The entries are scored based on the following criteria:
- Relevance - The technology effectively addresses a recognized need.
- Impact - The technology has significantly impacted the population to help make a better world.
- Collaboration - The technology is in use today because of the key support of academic technology transfer.
[It's a no-brainer, but be sure your entries include these points!}
When will the prize be awarded?
Entries will be judged the first week of November, 2020. A winner and runner-up will be notified
by Dec. 1, 2020.
Is there a cost to enter?
- Recognition (and a spiffy trophy) will be awarded to the winning technology transfer office (TTO) for its support of the innovation at the 2021 AUTM Annual Meeting.
- It is up to the discretion of the winning TTO, and its Director, to decide who will use the free AUTM 2022 registration.
Not this year.
2020 Better World Project Award Recipient
University of Central Florida Office of Technology Transfer
UCF’s Low-Impact “Dirt” Technology is a Safer, Cheaper Way to Clean Water
For questions, contact AUTM Chief Marketing Officer Leef Smith Barnes