What is the Better World Project Award?
AUTM's Award competition recognizes technology transfer professionals worldwide who support a better world through the commercialization of academic research.
How do I apply?
To be considered for the 2024 Better World Project Award, please submit your tech transfer office success story by 11:59 p.m. EST on Sept. 30, 2023. It's your chance to promote your good work, and the positive impact your research makes in the world. Plus, you may win the cool trophy, awarded at the 2024 AUTM Annual Meeting.
Who is eligible to submit a story?
Anyone can submit an innovation success story to the Better World Project database as long as four criteria are met:
- The featured technology is licensed.
- A product is for sale or a prototype is in use.
- The technology highlights a successful partnership between academia and industry.
- The technology has experienced a major milestone since 2016 (a startup was formed, a product was released, venture funding round was closed, a regulatory milestone was achieved, etc.).
Technologies will be judged by a panel made up of Better World Project (BWP) Committee members. If an entry is received from a BWP Committee member's institution -- no problem! - that Committee member is recused from judging the specific entry or choosing the winner from finalists.
The entries are scored based on the following criteria:
- Relevance - The technology effectively addresses a recognized need.
- Impact - The technology has positively impacted the population to help make a better world.
- Collaboration - The technology is in use today because of the key support of academic technology transfer.
[It's a no-brainer, but be sure your entries include these points!}
When will the prize be awarded?
Entries will be judged in November 2023, and three finalists will be notified in December.
Is there a cost to enter?
- Recognition (and a spiffy trophy) will be awarded to the winning technology transfer office (TTO) for its support of the innovation at the 2024 AUTM Annual Meeting.
- It is up to the discretion of the winning TTO, and its Director, to decide who will use the free AUTM 2025 registration.
Not this year.
Here are the previous Better World Project Award winners and their winning submissions:
2023 Better World Project Award Recipient
National University of Science and Technology (NUST) in Pakistan
Device Provides Non-invasive, Mobile Therapy to Treat Neuro Disorders
2022 Better World Project Award Recipient
Worcester Polytechnic Institute Office of Technology Commercialization
Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Process Produces More Power and Lessens Environmental Impact
2021 Better World Project Award Recipient
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile Technology Transfer Office
ThyroidPrint: First Molecular Test for Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules
2020 Better World Project Award Recipient
University of Central Florida Office of Technology Transfer
UCF’s Low-Impact “Dirt” Technology is a Safer, Cheaper Way to Clean Water
For questions, contact Brook Pritchett