Building One-on-One Relationships to Fuel Professional Development
The AUTM Mentorship Program is an opportunity for early-stage and mid-career professionals with a thirst for knowledge to establish one-on-one relationships with experts in the industry to transfer knowledge of university technology management, exchange ideas and encourage professional development. There is no cost to participate in the program, but you must be an AUTM member. Mentees and mentors must commit to at least one hour per month for a telephone call and complete a survey at the conclusion of the program.
Why become a Mentor?
Why be a mentee?
- When you were first getting started in your career, others helped you find your way. Now you can help someone else find theirs.
- AUTM as an organization has always been about professional development and excellence. Being a mentor allows you to play your part as an individual.
- An opportunity to be exposed the new thoughts and fresh ideas from your mentee.
Mentorship Criteria and Application
- A relationship with a professional mentor can offer you exposure to different experiences and different ways of thinking. Our profession is complex and constantly changing and there are often multiple approaches to tackling problems and challenges.
- You'll gain guidance on how to grow and advance your career in academic technology commercialization from someone who has been in your shoes.
- You'll find a new sounding board and “reality check” for your approaches to dealing with career situations and challenges.
- This is your opportunity to grow your professional network through your mentor and their professional connections. Experienced people know other experienced people.
- You'll enhance your professional skill set by learning from your mentor.